Interpreting the Earthbound Oracle

I recently received my copy of The Earthbound Oracle by Andy Swartz of Skullgarden (the publisher of the Wooden Tarot Limited Edition Major Arcana + Aces). I have to say that I am both excited and intrigued, and very happy to have this deck in my possession.

This is by far the strangest deck that I have ever had, I won’t lie. It comes with absolutely no instructions, and the artist has given absolutely no insight into the cards- leaving every one of us to kind of meander through it entirely on our own.

On a functional level, it has some qualities which are almost reminiscent of a Lenormand in that the meanings of the cards seem to change depending on the other cards present in a reading… It also seems to very much dislikes single card readings, I’ve notices- requiring you to almost always draw a clarifier card or two in order to make full sense of its answer.

This isn’t even getting into the realm of theories that many of us have begun to form concerning the deck, either- which are many and seemingly backed up even by people we hadn’t shared our experiences with yet.

All of this aside, though, since there is a complete lack of instructions or anything else with this deck I wanted to make a sort of master post concerning the keywords that I’ve personally gleamed from it so far, and my chosen method of interpreting certain cards that were unclear (at least to me).

Card Interpretations

Message

On its own it means a form of communication where you are being told something by someone else– though it does especially seem to refer to more obscured messages and communication methods, and times when you cannot be contacted directly. I have also had it crop up to mean pretty much everything from snail mail, to phone conversations, and even messages from the Spirit realm. When combined with the Self card, it also tends to symbolize a wake up call of sorts- either one that is needed or has already occurred.

Achievement

On its own it tends to mean Progress, Persistence, Hard Work, and Eventual Success- usually in reference to the result of an action you yourself performed. Achievement in “what” exactly seems to be reliant on any cards drawn after it or as clarifiers for it.

Fear

Self explanatory; being afraid of something. Again, “what” is usually reliant on the card drawn after it, or as a clarifier card for it specifically.

Terra

I often take this one to mean ownership as that’s what I associate land with- especially the ownership of land. I have also often interpreted it to mean Material Goods and Belongings, Authority, and Autonomy.

Self

Self explanatory. It means you, the owner of the deck or the person the reading is being performed for.

Luna

I usually take this to be less about the moon and more about action; taking your time and not rushing things. I’ve also seen it refer to something being changeable, flexible, or malleable, and occasionally it also means calming, tranquil, or relaxed. Rare- but still possible- is also the chance for it to reference night as a time, or something in connection to the Moon itself. This last possibility usually only shows up when I am doing readings for spell creation, though.

Deceit

Originally I thought this card was pretty straightforward, but after a few readings where its cropped up in odd ways I’m actually having a hard time understanding this card?? Only part of the definition seems to meant lying, cheating, or misleading yourself or others. I’m not quite sure what the other part of it means yet, though.

Intuition

This card appears to be all about trusting yourself, your own judgement, and your own emotions.

Fire

Passion, Desire, Wanting or Longing; depending on how it crops up, I’ve also found it to mean Rage, Anger, and Retribution. This is one of the few cards I’ve found that is possible to read reversed, which is odd because this deck really appears to hate reversals in most cases.

Earth

Mostly I see this refer to emotional qualities like Steadfastness, Stubbornness, a refusal to change, and being Grounded. I’ve also seen this refer to Family, the Ancestors, Land Spirits, and similar things- and sometimes it even literally refers to the Earth as a place in a way that Terra doesn’t seem to.

Air

Again, mostly emotional qualities; flighty, fickle, unsettled, creative, adaptable. I’ve also found it can sometimes refer directly to art itself. When it appears next to Water it usually means Storms. This usually only occurs when I am doing spreads for Spell Creation, though.

Obfuscate

Something that has been hidden from your sight, but also confusion and a lack of clarity. I’ve also seen this refer to lies and deception more-so than the Deceit card does.

Home

I’ve usually taken this to refer to Companions, Family, and Friends- but occasionally it literally means one’s house, home, and hearth. Sometimes it also means comfort, joy, and the emotions that come with these things. In rare instances it’s also referred to Domestic Witchcraft types, but this is usually when I am doing Spell Creation spreads.

Toxic

Something dangerous or toxic, potentially abusive. Most commonly I’ve seen this crop up in referring to one’s self (it reaaallly likes to throw this card out alongside the Self card)… But I’ve also noticed that this card usually refers to the card after it in general, or tends to want you to draw a clarifier card most times.

Voice

Your ability to speak up, being heard, being vocal. I’ve also seen this care refer to singing and music, too, but that meaning tends to be rare.

Ceremony

Usually this card appears to crop up meaning magical rituals, but it also refers to more traditional rituals like Wedding ceremonies. The card after it or drawn as a clarifier generally tends to tell you what kind of Ceremony, though.

Abundance

Having a plethora of something. Usually this tends to be something material but which is necessary for physical growth and development; I commonly take it to mean food and other necessities, but this is another card that usually refers to the card drawn after it, or wants you to draw a clarifier card in order to see what it’s about.

Water

More emotions; calm, collected, quiet, shy, relaxing, serene. I’ve taken it a lot to also mean my own femininity. On rare occasions I’ve also seen it refer to the Ocean, a Lake, or other physical body of water as a location marker- and  when drawn in immediate combination with Air, it seems to talk about Storms.

Creativity

Self explanatory; the personal action of or capability to produce intellectual work- but also imagination in general, “outside of the box” thinking, or original ideas.

Illuminate

Bringing something to light; clarifying things or exposing the truth.

Reflect

It tends to mean critical examination of something, thoughtfulness, reflection, contemplation, and similar things- generally about the subject of the card drawn after it or as a clarifier for it. When combined with Self, especially, it tends to mean personal reflection and examination; taking a deeper look at yourself and your relationships, actions, etc.

Vision

I’ve found that this one is dual meaning. On one hand I’ve had it crop up to mean actually seeing someone in person. On another, I’ve also seen it refer to Paranormal abilities such as precognition. Rarer, though, I’ve seen it crop up to mean seeing things as they really are. When it is reverse, it usually means the opposite- that your vision is being blocked, whichever type of vision it’s referring to.

Sleep

Taking a break, stepping down, relaxing, calming down, walking away from something for a little bit. I’ve also seen it literally refer to the act of sleeping, though this is doesn’t happen often.

Guide

A helper, a teacher; someone who is an authority or whom people look up to.

Healing

Self explanatory.

Bond

Connections, especially on a deeper level; interconnection; Something tying you to another person.

Time

Self explanatory. This usually crops up in relation to Luna and Sol, signifying the times of Day and Night.

Perseverance

Self explanatory; continuing on and pushing forward despite hardship and obstacles; sticking to your path.

Gift

Something good giving willingly by yourself or by another. Sometimes I’ve also seen it refer to acts of charity. At one point it even cropped up to represent the fact that my Husband spoils me rotten with material goods.

Permanence

Something that cannot be changed or taken back. Because it’s a quill and ink for the artwork, I generally tend to consider this as referring to words spoken (or written) to another person.

Balance

I have a desperate love / hate relationship with this card. The artwork is very unsettling to me and the card feels off balance, which is ironic. I’ve taken to taking this card to mean Off Balance when I get it- unless it’s reversed. If it shows up reversed then I will generally take it to actually mean balance.

Release

Letting go, feeling of release, not worrying so much. Another one that likes to be read reversed for when you just can’t let go of things. Sometimes it wants a clarifier or refers to the card next to it to indicate what you need to (or can’t) let go of.

Growth

Self explanatory. This one, too, likes to be read with reversals for when growth is being stunted or avoided. Like most cards, it tends to refer to the one after it or drawn as a clarifier for it to symbolize growth in “what”.

Cycle

Self explanatory. In combination with Self, I’ve also found that it refers to when you are stuck in a cycle that you can’t get out of, too, and sometimes it crops up to mean destructive behaviors. When read in conjunction with Time it also means the cycle of life (birth, death, rebirth) or time as passing by. Likewise, when read with Luna and Sol it tends to represent their celestial cycles (rising and setting).

Protect

Defense and protection of yourself and others. In reverse it seems to represent over-protectiveness and hyper-defensiveness. With the Self card this refers to yourself and your ideals or beliefs- but in general it is another that tends to refer to the card after it or a clarifier in order to figure out what exactly you’re protecting.

Arcana

Mystery, the metaphysical, magic, magical practice, the occult, etc. I’ve noticed that it generally crops up alongside Ceremony when it wants you to perform a spell of some sort.

Life

Being active, enjoying life, living your life- especially for yourself; “smelling the roses” so to speak. On rare occasions I’ve also seen it mean the birth or rebirth of a person.

Failure

Self explanatory. This card, too, usually needs a clarifier drawn in order to figure out exactly what you’re failing at.

Travel

Self explanatory. When read with Air it tends to mean Travel by plane; with Water it tends to mean travel by boat or to a body of water as a location; Earth tends to mean over land, but I’ve also seen it mean to a forest or mountainous region. Sometimes I’ve also seen it crop up in conjunction with the Time card.

Simplicity

Self explanatory. A lack of overcomplicating things. Could be read as minimalism on occasion, but it rarely crops up in this way. More often than not it represents needing to slow down and simplify, or shed the superfluous and unnecessary.

Wealth

Having an abundance of things that aren’t always necessarily important. Again, this card usually refers to having wealth in an area that is signified either by the card that comes after it, or by a clarifier card that needs to be drawn.

Death

I’ve found that this card doesn’t often symbolize quick and unexpected change like it usually does in Tarot. Instead I’ve found that it usually references the actual death of something or someone. Occasionally I’ve also seen it refer to the afterlife, Spirits, etc… But also sometimes references something coming to an end finally and always permanently.

Luck

Another one that likes to be read with reversals; upside means Good luck, reversed means bad luck. Otherwise it’s pretty straightforward.

Transformation

Self explanatory. When read with Self it generally tends to mean personal transformation- especially when Growth crops up (where it references transformation as an act of personal growth), or if Reflect is present (symbolizing transformation after intense internal reflection).

Resistance

Not wanting to change or do things differently. If it appears with Fear, I’ve noticed that it symbolizes a fear of change.

Wisdom

Self explanatory. This is speaking on one's ability to make good decisions and having good judgment, soundness in action and word, and body of principle. 

Sol

Energetic, always moving. Very passionate. I’ve also seen it refer to Day as a time, especially if the Time card is actually present.

Labor

Self explanatory- though I’ve noticed that it usually means hard Labor with a reward.

Comments