Interpreting the Witches' Runes

I recently picked up my first set of the modern Witches' Rune divination set from a vendor (prismmoon on Etsy) at the Oddities Expo while it was in Oklahoma City this year; this is a tool I've been interested in playing with for quite a long time, but which you rarely find for sale, and so I grabbed it the second I saw it.

Unfortunately there are many variations of the Witches' Rune out there, ranging in number from 8 to 13- each system of which ultimately has their own interpretations (although the interpretations are considered archetypically or mythopoetically "universal" by some). For that reason, I feel the need to cross reference multiple systems and come to develop my own interconnected reference on meaning (similar to what I did for the Earthbound Oracle, in a way).

Though this bog is technically abandoned, I will be posting it here for posterity's sake.

Rune Interpretations

Feminine

Being or becoming a healer; the home; the hearth; gentle action; passion; family and friendship; caring and nurturing; kindness and compassion; sympathy and empathy; ethics and values.

Masculine

Being or becoming a protector; leadership; dominance; guidance; provision; self-reliance; empowerment and confidence; decisive action; tradition and culture.

Sun

Success; positive outcomes; good decisions / news / health / etc; beginnings or progress; healing; justice; personal enrichment; fertility and vitality; all forms of expansion in life — in Yes / No questions, the Sun can be read as "Yes"; consult the runes closest to it to know what successes it refers to.

Moon

Slow / long term changes; hidden agendas; transition between phases; intuition and hidden awareness; the imagination; memory; mystery and secrets; cycles; changes in position within the month — in Yes / No questions, the Moon can be read as "No"; consult the runes closest to it to know whether the changes it refers to are positive or negative in nature.

Star

Affirmation and approval; inspiration- especially to others; dreams, aspirations; goals, and ideas; a wish coming true; wishful thinking; hopefulness; personal essence; being yourself; freedom; true will; creativity; personal glory.

Eye

Lifting the veil; "seeing" in all its forms; focus and concentration; psychic ability; witnessing; perspective; the truth — look at where this Rune points for clues when it appears.

Crossroads

"There are many ways to reach the same destination"; decision making- especially about major life decisions; embarking in a new direction; something fixed, stuck, or static; the unknown; a potential fear of change; not thinking things through; possible spirit communication and pacts.

Harvest

Luck; success; reward; reaping the fruit of your labor; an abundance of resources; happiness; devotion; that which is essential to survival and well-being.

Scythe

Sudden or dramatic change; a sudden or unexpected end to something; walking away from someone / something; concussion or completion; finality; results; transformation; potential danger; a warning; caution; cutting away or removal of someone / something.

Waves

Connection to the spiritual world; life; "being in the flow"; momentum; movement; travel of all kinds (see surrounding stones for what kind); journeys- spiritual or physical; relatives / family.

Flight

Word of mouth; messages; social media or networking; information; communication; letters or documents; unexpected news- or the news in general.

Rings

Connection between people; a combination or joining of things; partnerships; collective synergy or energy; sharing; shared interests or goals; bondage — look for the Runes closest to it to see what it may refer to being joined.

Romance

Relationships- new or old; engagement or a marriage; deep emotional and romantic connections; love; infatuation; eroticism; a growing appreciation — it can also sometimes indicate a need for a "fresh start" to an already established relationship.

At some point I would like to contact the vendor I ordered these from, since I managed to get their card, and add the following runes to my collection as a self created system: 

  • Earth
  • Fire
  • Aether
  • Androgyn
  • Spiral

I would also like to correct the Wave and Star designs (at minimum) as I currently don't like the designs for the ones that are included in this particular set. And I would like to add a few that are used in the other Witches' Runes systems- such as the "Crossed Spears", "Flight", and "Luck", as well as the "Black Rune".

Comments